You are on your way to hear the results of the tests you took last week. These results will change your life. What do you do? How do you handle the news of cancer or some other catastrophic disease?
The most simple answer is don’t give up and get all the information you can. You have to become an advocate for yourself.
Here are 4 steps before going to the doctor:
- Write down all questions;
- Bring a friend or family member, as a second pair of ears;
- Make sure you understand diagnosis, treatment and procedures;
- If you don’t understand, ask and keep asking until you understand.
- Get a Support System, friends, family and possibly organizations; i.e. American Cancer Society, MDA, or local support groups.
Here are examples of questions:
- What is the diagnosis?
- Have we exhausted all possibilities? Could there be another diagnosis?
- What are the treatment options? Is one better than another?
- What are the side effects?
- How long will treatment last?
- How will we know its working?
- How will this affect my Quality of Life?
- Are there holistic or alternative options?
So, ask questions get answers, understand them and don’t be afraid to ask for help. That can include medical or psychological or just a support group.
Remember to continue to Breathe and feel as Positive as possible.